Sunday, August 28, 2005

Trip Report

Well the Goat asked why I didn’t ride up Castle. I wish I could Ride 60deg pitches forever on my bike. So for now I’m stuck hiking them. It’s been along time I went out climbing. The last peak I when up was Hagerman’s Peak skiing in the spring. So this was a great change of pace from the Bike. Plus with next week stage race it was good to get some Altitude under my belt.

This route to Castle starts just passed the ghost town of Ashcroft about 6 miles on the Pearl Pass road (11,200'). From 11,200', we hiked 2 miles up to 12,400' below just below the old Montezuma Mine. Then continue on to the end of the mining road at 12,800' to a large basin. From here, we were looking southwest at steep slopes that had snow through out. Near 13,300', we entered the large basin north of and climbed the rocky slope leading up to the ridge. Following the broken trail along the ridge through minor scrambling sections with some loose rock. But the route was mostly stable. Near 14,000', it drops down to a small saddle and start up the final pitch and suddenly we were on the summit.