Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Yes! a rest day......

Well the boys hit the window perfect, because it’s raining and blowing in the Front Range and dumping snow in the Mountains……

We had three days of great cycling weather (70 deg and sunny) and made use of it! Almost 14 hours in the seat and over well over 10,000’ of climbing. Lets just say I’m glad to have a rest day…..This first day was a Hammer fest, the second a Suffer, and the third a Total Blow out! For those who haven’t cycled the Front Range of Colorado you can ride miles and miles without getting out in traffic (you might running over a homeless dude, but never a car) there are 10’ wide concrete bike trails (their more like mini roads) that cover the Front Range. You can go from Boulder to Downtown Denver to Colorado Springs and never get off one.

For the most part things went as planned. Saturday we put the bikes together and headed out for a ride. A quick lap around the Reservoir with a pace though Downtown and up to Golden. 70 miles into the ride and what do we do? Hammer up Lookout Mountain for a taste of a Colorado’s Classic. I had to laugh because Goat was like a horse in the starting gate at the Derby. With-in a city block he and the Baron had a gap. I never saw them again until the decent. They both are climbing very will and didn’t seem to be slowed by the winter season or the altitude. Even schooling one of the local boy’s……Topping a about 8000’ we turn around for a flier downhill and a couple more rollers for a opening day of 5.5 hours in the bank…..you got to love that.

Two was more for the same with a Hammer Fest on the South until we bank 2000’ feet of rollers and headed up Deer Creek Canyon to deposit another 3000’ for the day. Goat leading the way with Baron pushing him with every pedal stroke and Sandy and I are rounding it out. I learned on this ride that Sandy and Great ride for some one that trains very little and the Goat can’t go down hill. I guess Mountain Goats can only go up hill fast. We almost had Deer meat for dinner. Two White trails deicide its time cross the road. Jumping out in front of the Baron and me doing 45mph downhill, for a heart pumping experience. The funniest part of this climb is its 11 miles from the low to high point and you are still faced with a 35miles ride home. A half a bottle of water, No Problem…It’s a good thing we found a little pop stand to refuel at on the way home. 6 hours later and we are home for the day, just beating the sun.

If that was enough we had to pound out one the toughest climbing the Front Range has to server up. This thing is Steep, steep, steep. It starts out an 8%+ grade flat’n out at a 6% in the middle and spits you out with a 15% plus at the summit (nick named “The Wall”). This thing hurts! I’ve never wanted a triple before, but I would have like one! It is the toughest climbing I’ve every done on a road bike. I would tip my hat to everyone who cleans this one. The pace up was the same as before Goat, Baron, me and Sandy (right on me heals). She’s one tough climber most man wouldn’t even try this climb let alone clean it. After that we toured the town and headed home to lick my wounds. Like I said, I’m glad it’s a rest day!

I had an awesome time with the “Wisco boys” riding, laughing and hammering! Because they can lay it down! The “Pain Train” will be a live and well in WORS this year. I can’t wait until the next “Team Camp”………Ouch!