Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Suffer like a DOG!

Tour of Utah wrap up! Well I didn’t manage a good GC showing but still had a great time. The opening race was a 45 mile road race with the last 6 up the nastiest climb. The avg. grade was 10% with last 1 K up 14% for a total of 2000’ plus. It was by far the toughest climbing I’ve done on a road bike. There was a field of 75 at the start which was nice to see. Knowing that I’m not the best climber, my strategy was to go for the 3 Time bonus primes and work for an early break. That way I’d have an advantage going into the climb. I quickly hammer off the front and managed to solo for the 12 miles but was chased back just before the 1st sprint. I couldn’t get good position in the field and roll a crossed about 10th. After the sprint I counter attached with another guy and it looked like we were going to get away but the teams were doing a good job of reeling in the breaks to setup thier sprinters. The next two sprints I just missed the time bonus by taking 4th in each….so that killed my hopes of getting a time edge and getting break. All I could do is sit in and watch the teams setup there Climbers! The lead group work its way down to about 15 as we hit the bottom of the last climb and “bam” the hammer was dropped and the climbers took off! I try to hang but all it did was make me suffer like a dog. All the early work made it worst and people were slamming left and right. I don’t know exactly where I finished but I do know I was 10 mins. Off the GC leader.
I made it back from my suffering to watch Sandy come though in good position at the bottom of the climb. She’s a good climber. Os I knew if she could hang with the group up that point she be in great position. I drove up to the finish and she rolling through 8th overall with the Masters and Cat 3 women and into the GC spot. We couldn't find the time gap, but she was sitting good going into the Crit. I on the other hand need Devin intervention
The Crit was flat, fast, six corners and a small down hill finish. Just my kind of course. I felt great and the pace was plastering. The big teams hammered and did a great job of keeping there GC punk boys protected by hammering the front and controlling the race. It had to be one of the fastest crits I’ve been in. The pace never let up and pounded nails the whole 60min's. The sprinters never could setup or rest, but I did stay in a good position a couple guys back the whole race. Which was perfect B/C I didn’t have to do much work. But again, in prefect team work with 2 to go the pace slowed and teams started setting up there sprinters. I pick a team force my way into their lineup. This did make them happy but hell I didn’t care. They can bitch all they want I’m in this to stay. The Last corner, the sprint and it nothing but daylight between me and the finish line and everybody fading back. Until the right side swarmed around and I rolled a crossed 10th. I guess I pick the wrong wheel to grab. But I was very happy with my finish. My ego was saved from the beating I took in the road race. Sandy race wasn’t as good but she managed to hold on to the GC, but got worked over good and had to chase hard to do it. We both were feeling pretty worked the next the day was going to tough. A 60 mile road race with 9000’ of climbing. Ouch!
My plan was much the same, get a break and lead into the climb. I'd give it to shots. One I thought was going to work. With two other guys, we went on a flier and build up over 3 mins over an hour but were reeled back when the teams cranked it up for the GC guys. That left me crying the blues on the Climb. I just gave up at that point and limped in 30th or somethimg like that. I did have much time to sit around and recover B/C I need to get over to the feed zone to help Sandy out at the base of the last climb and when I say Climb, I mean climb! 4000’ of vert over 9 miles! I got there as she came through in great position. Sitting on the Wheel of the second GC and looking strong. Made the hand up and yell some encouragement. Thought it was in the bag, but she drop a chain and couldn’t reel it back in and ended up losing 8 mins and the GC.
But over all We had a great time…..